Am I emotionally ready to own a scale?

I LOVED this post this morning. http://tippytoediet.com/ Cammy said that she hasn't owned a scale in years That when she steps on the scale it's just a moment in time. What she does consistantly is what counts. I loved that it. Besides, it's so true. She said that perfectly! She is also giving away a very nice scale. You might want to check it out.

This got me thinking....am I emotionally ready to own a scale? It started yesterday. I am going to change my weigh in day and the time. I am going to have a scale in my home to weigh 1st thing in the morning.....on Wednesdays. The scale used to make or break my day. Now I can just think of it as a moment in time. Most of the time. Attitude is so important, I don't want to screw it up.

I am feeling better. I find that as a push myself to do the things that scare me or that I just plain don't want to do, I feel better. Well duh! When I am going through this Crazy Brain stuff I am anxious and scared all the time. It's a crap feeling. I haven't been very good foodwise this week. Overall it's been ok, but I have"used' food all week. Still making those 3 mile walk everyday. So that's a plus.

The holidays kick my ass. My husband was found dead on Christmas day about 13 years ago and my Dad died days after. For years I have just felt like I go through the motions of the holidays. All the time hating it. Resenting that I live far from my sisters and that my Mom and Dad are gone. Getting pissed that I never have extra money for the gifts I would like to give. Mad at myself. mostly. I am no good with money. I sometimes feel that I am so self centered that I have no imagination has what to give people that I love. What's wrong with me?? Don't answer that...lol

Have plans to sit for the Gkids tonight. Hoping to get to a before noon movie tomorrow. I still haven't seen The Blindside. This is so unlike me. I have noticed that since I have become more active, I spend less time in dark movie theatres. Go Me! My walking buddy and I have plans to try a 5 miler tomorrow morning. I can do it. It's nice to know that I can walk 5 miles. Really nice!!!

Have a great weekend. My thoughts and prayers are with a few of my friends that are really going through hard things. Watching people go through hard things let's me know that I could do it too. They are my example. Thanks!

Keep the mood and the food real. Are you emotionally ready?

Comments

  1. Oh, the smile on my face disappeared when I read about the loss of your husband. I'm so sorry. The holidays can be challenging for SO many different reasons and yours has to be the most difficult.

    Thanks for your note on my blog. I am not sure WHEN I will weigh in next, but it's not because I've been eating poorly. I DID have a few days around TG that were a problem and that caused me to skip a w/i last Sunday but I'm back on plan now and just don't want anything the scale might have to say cause me any emotional upset. So eventually I'll look, but I don't know when.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fought with this same question for the past 5 months. About 3 weeks ago I bought one. I still find myself getting on it ALMOST every time I walk in my bathroom, but I have taken on the "it's just a number" train of thought. It changes from time of day and day to day and not to let it run my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a scale at home but the one that matters to me is the one I go to each week at my WW meeting. I let it beat me last week but I am SO ready to show it who is BOSS! (that would be ME btw lol) :)

    Holidays are tough when you lose people that you love around them. December is a sad month for me too...even though its been years I still miss my family who are no longer here with us. :(

    Good job on getting up to 5 miles! That is amazing! :) Whoo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to read of the holidays bringing sadness to you. I've never really been gung-ho for them myself, so perhaps I don't have shiny-happy-people expectations to start with. I hope you can get through them and enjoy your kids and grandkids in whatever way that feels right to you.


    The past DOES NOT define the future. So, maybe in the past you weren't so good with the dollars, but that is not chiseled in stone. Don't defeat yourself before you are even started. Get the mind right and the rest of it, your ass, the dollars will follow.

    Thanks for the email, Dana. I do so appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to be emotionally ready, but that's gonna require a lot of mental effort on my part.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The scale is really a mixed blessing - it's great when you get a good number and a piece of doody (this is a family blog, after all) when you don't. I still use one but sparingly.

    So sorry to read of your holiday losses. This time of year can be so tough. Hope it helps a little to know that we're all here for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I run hot and cold on the scale. Some months i stay completely away and then i can go a month weighing every day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Dana, no wonder the holidays are so hard for you...what a terrible thing to have happened, losing both your husband and dad like that. I'm so sorry.

    As for the scale, I didn't own one for quite a while - just used my Wii Fit to weigh in, which involved a lot of hoops to jump through, so it wasn't something I could just do any time I wanted. I do own a scale right now, but it lives in my closet so when I want to weigh myself, it is a conscious decision and one that most of the time I make when my head is in a good place. The scale and I go way back, and it hasn't always been pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whew Dana that is some heavy duty stuff! Since my dad died (10 yrs) I have not really been in the mood to celebrate but I actually decorated for the first time this year. Just a few simple things to get me in the mood.

    I am with you on the money thing. I have been meaning to write a post about it but it will be an emotional one so I have put it off (Queen of Procrastination)

    Hugs to you Dana! You are so sweet and supportive of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sorry to hear about your husband? What an awful shadow to have over the holidays. I wish you all the best this season. Be kind to yourself!
    BODA weight loss

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know that the holidays must be hard when you think about your losses. I hope something wonderful and amazing can make you have some even better Christmas memories.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go on the scale front and bravo on the 3 miles a day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fantastic post! The holidays are tough for so many people (me included) for so many reasons. I'm an only child, and my Dad died when I was 11; Mom when I was 23. So the holidays always put me into old lonliness and sadness, even though I have my own wonderful family and a great life. I hope you feel lighter just for having written about it. Sometimes we just have to slog through a day at a time at eagerly anticipate Jan. 2nd.

    I understand the scale conundrum. Having this blogging as an outlet and place to "tell on yourself", if owning a scale and weighing in starts to play with your head, you can always unload it, see what inspiration comes via comments, and regroup as necessary. Eventually it seems there are places it makes sense to put our toe in the water to try out new (old) stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was so sad to hear about your husband and your father, what a terrible time that must have been in your life. You are so strong it amazes me. I love what you have to say and how insightful you are.

    As for the scale, I don't know what the right answer is. I use to keep mine under the bed and weigh just on Tuesday or Wednesday morning to get a feel of what my weigh-in on Wednesday at TOPS would be like. Now I keep it in the livingroom next to the shoes and I find myself weighing everyday, sometimes twice. Sometimes it doesn't seem to matter to me and other times it has power over me. Really I know when to stay the heck off of it lol. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide.

    Have fun on your walk and have a good time with the GKs. *hugs my friend*

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow, I'm so sorry that the holidays are a rough time for you. I'll be praying that they are okay this year.

    About the scale, that's how I look at it--just a moment in time. I only weigh every once in a while to make sure I'm maintaining my weight. If I've gained I few pounds I go, "Huh, guess I should probably exercise more," and if I've lost, "Cool." You shouldn't let it control you any more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so sorry for the loss of your husband and dad, especially at a time of year when most people seem to be celebrating with their families.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry for the memories the holidays must bring up for you. You are doing better than I with being consistent in your walking. I love your book shelf on the blog; books mean a lot to me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Contentment at last

Dana Does Cancer

A Traditionally Built Woman