Dana Does Cancer

Good Morning! It's been a long time since I used this blog. I've decided that I had so much success using this blog as a tool to lose 100 pounds, I'm going to blog my way as I fight cancer To The Best of My Ability.

Yep, it looks like I have rectal cancer. There is a 20 mm tumor in the old poop shoot. Just shows Heavenly Father has a sense of humor. Seems a fitting consequence for being an asshole for the first half of my life. (my two children will verify this) The good news it's not gone to the lymph nodes per the CT scan, I will get the results of a PET scan, along with a port for chemo Monday or Tuesday. And so it begins...

I have every reason to be optimistic. It's still early. I'm still  going to need radiation and chemo to shrink the tumor and wait 5-6 weeks and have a resection, then more chemo is needed. I am grateful for health insurance, though I can't work for at least six months, maybe more. When I went to the surgeon on Friday he told me I was going to need a temporary ileostomy. That was a gut punch. Nobody had mentioned this was standard operating procedure prior to this. Though it does make sense and it is temporary. Besides, what choice do I have?

I have had a feeling for at least three years that I have colon cancer. Yet I never "showed up" for myself. I let fear of the unknown paralyze me into inaction. A tried and true tactic used over the course of my life. So I joked around about it instead.  My daughter laughed at me. I am a known worrier/over-reactor.  Nobody is laughing now, but we are as I said, optimistic and very hopeful. Moral of the story, you know your body. trust your instincts. Don't talk yourself out of it. Get checked! Get a colonoscopy at 50. Hindsight is always 20/20.

For now I have no symptoms. In fact, I've never been more regular, which is weird to me...lol. I start chemo and radiation on Wednesday the 15th. Which I am a bit worried about. Wondering what the side effects are gonna like. I have been pretty healthy up to this point. No surgeries, broken bones, maybe a cold here and there. I haven't had the flu since the late 1990's. I might have taken my health for granted, I was never not grateful for it. I included that in my daily prayers "thank you for a body that has served me well" I still pray for the same thing.

I have faith that I have a loving Heavenly Father that knows what's best for me. As long as I hand over my fear and anxiety to Him, I can find joy and increased knowledge in this trial. Even if I have to look really hard. I have already seen so many tender mercies. My faith in humanity is restored daily, as I recognized all the blessings and angels the Lord has already sent to help me.  I welcome your prayers and your encouragement. Thank you.


Comments

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you! It sounds like they found the cancer early for you since it hasn’t spread to lymph nodes and you didn’t mention it spreading else where! I’ve been through this with my father and I’m on your side now!!! Keep us posted so that I know how to pray!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana, I am still out there blogging occasionally and I have kept you on my reading list because I was hoping you might come back someday. I just wish it wasn't for this reason. My prayers are with you too. Don't stay away so long again...Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Tell me what you think!

Popular posts from this blog

Contentment at last

A Traditionally Built Woman